HISTORY OF THE REGISTER BAPTIST CHURCH
The arrival of Franklin Pierce Register in Bulloch County in the year 1894 marked the birth of the little village of Register. Being located at the junction of the Register and Glennville Railroad and the Dover to Dublin branch of the Central of Georgia, Register soon became a flourishing railroad center with as many as six passenger and three freight trains passing through daily. Register grew by leaps and bounds and a post office was established; rural routes branched out delivering the mail right to the door of the farmhouses. New stores went up, a hotel, a bank, a drug store, a school, and a Methodist Church, all of this in only a few years. Register was a boom town of 400.
It was not until 1906 that a small group of the local inhabitants, under the leadership of Mr. Register, organized the Missionary Baptist Church of Register. Since the small group had no place to meet, the Methodist Church enthusiastically agreed for them to use their church building. Dr. A. H. Stapler of Metter was employed as a supply pastor at a salary of $10 per month with services on the first and third Sundays.
In April, 1907, the Bulloch County Baptist Association employed (with the endorsement of the State Mission Board) Elder J. B. Dixon of Statesboro, at a yearly salary of $900, as full time Associational Missionary or Evangelist. Elder Dixons work was principally in the Oak Grove, Pulaski, Register, Stilson, Knight, and Sinkhole districts. His efforts were very gratifying, especially in Register. A strong church was constituted and a house of worship guaranteed within the coming year.
On November 6, 1907, at 2:00 p.m. in the Macedonia Church, messengers in the persons of Joe Tillman and Jesse Dean from Register Baptist Church went before the Bulloch County Baptist Association with a petition for membership in the Association. The petition was approved with no hesitation, and the Register Baptist Church officially became a member of the Association with a church membership of nineteen. Services were still being held in the Methodist Church on the first and third Sundays but now with the Rev. J. B. Dixon of Statesboro as pastor with a yearly salary of $250. D. M. Rogers was the first clerk.
In 1908, again under the forceful leadership of Mr. Register, the church building was erected on lands donated by Mr. Register and from timber furnished by Mr. Register and other members. The original cost was $2500
The next year, 1909, a Sunday School, with W. M. Tankersley of Jimps as superintendent, was organized with 41 members. In 1910, with Mrs. J. D. Tillman as first president, Mrs. J. B. Dixon, vice president and Mrs. J. S. Riggs as secretary-treasurer, the Ladies Missionary Society was organized and in later years came the youth organization under the leadership of Mrs. J. S. Riggs.
In 1949, the Sunday School room and the baptistery were added at a cost of approximately $5,000. In 1956, only a few weeks after the installation of new windows throughout the church proper, a disastrous fire completely destroyed the building, which at this time was valued at $10,000.
The existing church building, which replaced the one destroyed by fire, was completed in 1957 and dedicated on June 21, 1959. A social hall was added in 1976 and an education building was completed in 2006. Current plans include a major renovation and expansion of the social hall.
Contemporary Service (9:00 a.m.)
Sunday School (10:00 a.m.)
Traditional Service (11:00 a.m.)
AWANA/Youth (5:00 p.m.)
Women’s Bible Study (6:00 p.m.)
Bible Study and Prayer Meeting (6:30 p.m.)
Choir Practice (7:00 p.m.)
First Tuesday of the Month: Men’s Bible Study (6:00 p.m. – location TBD)
Last Sunday of the Month: WINGS (12:00 p.m.)
Quarterly: Dinner on the Grounds (12:00 p.m.)
Jody Waterman Rushing
Copyright © 2022 Register Baptist Church - All Rights Reserved.